|Banana plant in Jamaica|
Photo Credit: PJ Mixer
There are many recipes for these pancakes, with the main variables being how much flour to add, and how much oil to fry them in. We used a recipe with small amounts for each - less flour would pronounce the banana flavor, and less oil make them healthier. With little flour, the insides were
Jamaican Banana Fritters
Recipe adapted from Jamaica No Problem
- 3 ripe bananas
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg (or powdered)
- 3 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup milk
- vegetable or coconut oil
- lemon juice for topping
- cinnamon sugar for topping (1/4 cup sugar & 1 tbsp cinnamon)
1. Mash the bananas with a fork. Add the lemon juice, vanilla, nutmeg, brown sugar and egg. Mix well to combine.
|This seemed like the perfect time to use our fresh nutmeg|
2. Whisk together flour and baking powder. Stir into banana mixture. Add milk and stir to combine into batter.
3. Heat a pan on medium high, and cover generously in oil. Make the fritters by dropping tablespoons of batter in the hot oil. Cook so they are golden on both sides, a couple of minutes on each side.
4. Enjoy with a sprinkle of lemon juice and cinnamon sugar.